IaU Review - "If I Stay"

I just finished listening to the audiobook of "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman. 
This book is supposed to be a tear jerker of tear jerkers. As someone who empathizes more with fictional characters than I do real people, I really expected to be bawling my eyes out and I questioned if I should really be listening to this while driving. 
There is never a book I will tell you to NOT read. You do you, read what you like. Yes, I can see where the tears would come out, but it wasn't as heart wrenching as a few others I've read (ugh Time Traveler's Wife killed me). 



This is the story of Mia. A girl trying to decide her future at 17 years old. To stay with the one she loves or move across the country to Juilliard, the school of her dreams. Her future changes when it goes from a decision on what to do in the future to, whether or not she will have a future. 24 hours of an out-of-body experience in a coma she debates, back and forth as to whether or not she will stay or she will go on. 
It was well written and a very interesting concept. The end confused me a bit. It sounded like her choice was accidental and she didn't mean to do it. I like that it was just a glimpse in the 24 hours and it didn't feel overly dragged out. 
I can't place my finger on what exactly I didn't like about it. I really did like it, I just didn't find it as tear jerking as it was claimed to be and that was disappointing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Editing

Sixteen Reasons Why

Coming Out