Inside a Writer's Mind

Yesterday while trying to write I kept getting distracted. It's easy to do for me. 

I was trying to create the creatures that the main character encounters. I had a rough idea of them in my head which got me through the first 3 chapters but then I really needed to get down to the nitty gritty to describe them. 

As I was writing out the information for each I had to do a bit of googling because as a previous biology student I have to make sure my science fiction makes a little bit of sense. 
So I started a google search and then found something slightly related that was interesting and as more and more interesting things came up I found myself on Monsters University website. It's a thing
http://monstersuniversity.com/edu/ right there. Then I found one for Hogwarts where you can take magical classes online and I signed up for that then realized that I was supposed to be writing. So I pulled up my novel and remembered I was researching for my creatures. The internet is an amazing place that sucks you up and found that the last hour you could have been spent writing was instead spent trying to figure out how to register for fall classes at MU. 

I ended up getting my creatures hammered out for the most part and when I was reading back over them there was a lot of "unknowns". I had created what the main character knew about the creatures not what I as the author SHOULD know. So I had to go back and re-do most of it anyways to give the true rise of the creatures. 
I tend to do this with my characters. My main character is well thought out and planned yet the surrounding characters tend to be form the main characters POV. Sometimes I forget I'm the author and I don't fully develop my characters because the main characters doesn't know them. 
Though this tends to work for me as I can see what happens on the next page or the next chapter I develop the character. Sometimes this doesn't work for me and I realize that this support character who I've been picturing as a short, shy person is instead humorous and loud and I have to either change the way I think about them or change a whole paragraph about them. 

As an untrained writer I don't have a technique or style in the way that I write. Unfortunately sometimes I even jump from 1st to third person and I have to go back and change a whole chapter because I've been writing in first person. 

Even this blog post isn't flowing very well together and it's not making a whole lot of sense to me anymore. 
I just write exactly what I'm thinking and force myself to keep going and go back and edit later.

Edit: I'm not editing this. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Editing

Sixteen Reasons Why

Coming Out