IaU Review - "Scrappy Little Nobody"

My school is an hour away from where I live and this semester I've had to go everyday instead of 3 days a week. So I have been getting a lot of audiobooks in. I used to be one of those people who was pretentious about only reading paper books. No Ebooks or audiobooks, there's just something about holding a book. It took me a while but as life went on I had less and less time to actually sit down and read, there was always something that needed done and when I started going to school again, listening to the radio for 2 hours (used to be 2 hours, is now only one) and having to change the station 2 or 3 times was tedious and a little boring. Especially when "Manic Monday" came on the radio EVERY. OTHER. SONG. For months I had that song stuck in my head. Enter audiobooks. I use Overdrive which is an app that my school library uses to download audiobooks through my phone. By downloading them on WiFi I don't use data while listening to them. (I think...)
It means it takes me anywhere from 3 days to a week to finish a book.
I have also discovered that certain books are meant to be listened to and not read. Mainly audiobooks read by their authors. This is the second one that I've listened to like that. The first was Lauren Graham's Talking As Fast As I Can. Which I also highly recommend.

Another thing to note. I don't like ratings. I don't like rating anything. Trying to rate a book for me is especially difficult because there are so many factors that a number of stars just doesn't say. People like different things. Some may ask me how I can stand to read or listen to autobiography's, it's just someone else's life or why science fiction, it's all made up! and a 4/5 stars won't mean anything to you if you don't like the genre. Luckily, there is very little that I dislike.

So, here is my Indecisive and Unimportant review of Anna Kendrick's "Scrappy Little Nobody"



Anna Kendrick is known for her role as Beca in the Pitch Perfect series, or if you paid really close attention her part as Jessica, Kristin Stewarts BFF in the Twilight Series. 
I always imagined Anna Kendrick to have her life together, being this witty, sarcastic, fun-loving person. Instead she describes herself as an obstinate, determined little ball of anxiety. 
It seemed very unreal that someone that lives in other people's spotlight could have anxiety and social anxiety. Maybe hers isn't as bad as other people's, maybe's its worse. But it brings about the idea that 1. she is a normal human being and 2. you can still dream big with anxiety.

Most of the book was funny and sarcastic as I expected it to be and covered most questions that actors get asked in interviews. While she takes you in depth about her life she also has a way of making it feel like a conversation between friends, it makes you feel accepting of who you are. For me anyways. 
There were some serious bits that made me admire her vulnerability and honesty with her readers. Her tone of voice does take on a sense of seriousness but there is also humor, albeit a bit dark, thrown in. 
Having the book read in the author's voice is by far the better experience. When you're stopped at a stoplight, windows down and Anna Kendrick screams "that's my dick!" and you see the guy in the car next to you turn and stare at you before the light turns green. Well that is the most memorable part of the book for me. 
The part that I liked most was learning that she isn't as together as we all think she is. Describing herself as a "man-child" and a little ball of anxiety actually helped me put my own life into perspective. I'm not trying to get my life together while pretending that I already do for millions of people. My people already know I don't have my shit together and that's okay. 
I think she would be happy to know that she was able to connect with her readers on a deeper more personal level than she normally could through acting. At the end she states that her highest goal with this book was to make readers feel less alone. I think it would make her happy to know that she did that for at least one person. Anxiety, debt, and fear of not knowing where your next paycheck is coming from are real relatable things and with that I would recommend this book. If that's your thing. 

Last note: I take everything people say with a grain of salt. Maybe more than the names were changed, or maybe the names weren't even changed at all. When you write a book you can be whoever you want to be. Sorry Anna, my lack of trust for people seeped through, I still love you though!

Also, I think she would be happy to learn that yes, on her wikipedia page, it does say author under her name. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Editing

Sixteen Reasons Why

Coming Out